A Dessert Recipe for the Ages
My Aunt Judy shared this recipe with me over 30 years ago! Back in the days of cookie swaps and Christmas Parties galore, she prepared this amazing little dessert. I have been making it for family and friends ever since! This dessert is scrumptious and guaranteed to impress your family. The delicately layered crust and sweet cream frosting melt in your mouth as an orchestrated explosion of flavor tantalizes your tastebuds!
The handwritten recipe from my aunt is long gone. As I searched the internet for the origin of the recipe, none were found. I was unable to find any recipe even similar to this one, so I’m giving all the credit to Aunt Judy! I know you will enjoy this as much as we have! Leave me a comment if you have ever enjoyed one of these delightful desserts!
Almond Cream Confections
- Medium size heavy saucepan
- electric mixer
- measuring cups and measuring spoons
- 9 x 12 inch pan
- wax paper and plastic wrap
- ziplock bag
- 1/2 Cup Butter
- 1/4 Cup granulated sugar
- 2 TBSP Cocoa powder
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 egg slightly beaten
- 1 Cup sliced, toasted almonds
- 1 3/4 Cups vanilla wafer crumbs
- 1/2 Cup flaked coconut
- 1/3 Cup Butter, softened
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 Cups Powdered Sugar (may need up to 1/2 cup more)
- 2 squares milk chocolate, melted
- 2 squares white chocolate, melted
- To prepare Cream Frosting : Cream butter, beating at high speed. Add egg and vanilla, mixing well. Slowly add Powdered Sugar until smooth icing texture forms. Set aside.
- To prepare crust layer: In a heavy sauce pan, combine butter, 1/4 cup granulated sugar, cocoa powder, vanilla, salt and egg. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly until mixture begins to thicken. Remove from heat. Add toasted almonds, vanilla wafer crumbs and coconut, stirring well. Press firmly into a parchment lined 9×12 inch pan; cover and chill for at least 30 minutes.
- To assemble: Remove crust from refrigerator and spread Cream Frosting over the top. Cover and chill for 30 minutes.Remove from refrigerator. Gently pull the edges of the parchment paper, releasing the square of Almond Cream Confections from the pan. Cut into 12 squares. Separate the squares with a small space between each one. Place melted chocolate into a ziplock bag, cutting one corner so that you can drizzle the chocolate over the dessert squares. Repeat with the white chocolate. Refrigerate until ready to serve. Store in refrigerator in an airtight container.
© Copyright 2020– or current year, Sanctuary Ridge. Unattributed use of this material is strictly prohibited. Reposting and links may be used, provided that credit is given to Sanctuary Ridge with active link and direction to this original post.