One of our favorite restaurants is located a few miles down the beach from Topsail Hill Preserve, near Seaside beach. On one of our visits there, in the Fall 2017, this was the daily special. I fell in love with the flavor combination! I was determined to create a copy cat recipe so we could enjoy this year round. After a few failed attempts, I finally developed a perfect Belgian Waffle recipe. One note on this recipe though- you really need an authentic Belgian Waffle maker. I love my Breville Waffle Maker. You can adjust the temperature or use the presets and the waffles are thick, just the way a Belgian Waffle should be.
I will share the Cooked Apples with Bourbon soaked raisins in a separate post. Ya’ll have to try it! I wasn’t a fan of Brie cheese until this combination came along. Now I serve Brie cheese topped with cooked apples on waffles and French toast all the time. It’s just so, so good.
- Waffle Iron- I recommend the Breville Smart Waffle Maker
- Large mixing bowl
- measuring cups
- measuring spoons
- Small mixing bowl and whisk for the egg whites
- 4 cups plain flour
- 2 TBSP Light Brown Sugar
- 4 tsp baking powder
- 6 eggs, separated
- 3 1/2 cups Buttermilk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat the waffle iron.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk or the egg whites until soft peaks form. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, brown sugar, baking powder, and cinnamon. With a dry whisk, mix these and form a "dry well"in the center of the mixture.
- In the "dry well" of the flour mixture, add the milk, oil, vanilla and egg yolks stirring until mixed well.
- Gently fold in the whisked egg whites, trying to retain the air to make our waffles light and fluffy!
- Pour batter into your waffle iron per your waffle iron instructions. Cook for 3-5 minutes, depending on the waffle size and your recommended instructions. Serve immediately!
© Copyright 2020– or current year, Sanctuary Ridge. Unattributed use of this material is strictly prohibited. Reposting and links may be used, provided that credit is given to Sanctuary Ridge with active link and direction to this original post.