Summertime means home made Perfect Pickles! My family (and friends) are always so excited when I make a batch of these pickles. This recipe has completely ruined me. None of the store bought pickles compare to the flavor packed goodness of these little gems. We can go through a whole jar in one day! I feel like Sam-I-Am from Green Eggs and Ham because I will eat them on a train, I will eat them on a plane, I will eat them in a boat, I will eat them at the beach- I will eat them everywhere. I love them! Whip up some Tuna Salad and eat it on a slice of Perfect Pickles. Popcorn and Perfect Pickles? Why YES I will! Seriously, do your family a favor and make some of these!
- 3 Cups Apple Cider Vinegar
- 9 Cups water
- 1/2 Cup Pickling Salt- make sure it is Pickling Salt!
- 1 TBSP. sugar
- 2 TBSP. Dill Pickling Spice
- 2 TBSP. whole peppercorns
- 1 tsp. red pepper flakes
- 12 fresh garlic cloves, peeled
- yellow or white onions, sliced
- fresh dill
- jalapeños- washed and sliced 1/4 inch pieces
- 2-3 Pounds Sliced Pickling Cucumbers- not the big cucumbers from the grocery store, these are found at farm stands or grow your own!
- 4-6 (32 ounce) Mason Jars, clean and sterilized
Directions: Combine Vinegar, water, salt, sugar, dill pickling spice, red pepper flakes and whole peppercorns in a large pot. Bring this mixture to a boil, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and allow to cool to room temperature. While the vinegar mixture cools, place 2-3 peeled garlic cloves, a slice of onion, 2 slices of jalapeños, 2 stems of fresh dill and sliced cucumbers into each prepared mason jar. You can use any size you want, but the directions are intended for 32 ounce jars so modify the fresh ingredients if you use a smaller jar. Pack the cucumber slices as tightly as possible into each jar. Pour the cooled brine into the packed mason jars until the brine covers all the ingredients. Placed the lid on the jar and refrigerate for at least 48 hours- I usually wait 1 week before we eat them, allowing all the flavors to infuse the cucumbers. The Perfect Pickles will keep in the refrigerator for up to 8 weeks.
*Variations- You can make pickle spears, relish or whole pickles with the same recipe!
* Do not can these! When you can them under pressure it cooks the cucumber and they lose their amazing crispness!
© Copyright 2020– or current year, Sanctuary Ridge. Unattributed use of this material is strictly prohibited. Reposting and links may be used, provided that credit is given to Sanctuary Ridge with active link and direction to this original post.
Sanctuary Ridge does not accept ads or payment for mention of products or businesses.